Monday, October 29, 2018

Our best hope is to defeat them all.....



From Maloni the citizen, not the Maloni the GSE advocate


I am a Pittsburgh kid, born and raised.

When my family moved from the house in which I was born, I went to Allderdice high school in Squirrel Hill, where I still have many friends most all of whom are Jewish (my father was an Italian Catholic and my mother was Jewish).


Went to and graduated college in the City.

Nearly 50 years ago, I came to DC to work for the then Pittsburgh Congressman, who was on the House Banking Committee.

My only (late) brother had his bar mitzvah at the then tiny Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh’s Oakland neighborhood—our original community--the congregation later moved to Squirrel Hill and merged with two others and was housed in the “Tree of life” building where last week’s fatal atrocities happened.

Long before that horrendous tragedy, I planned this pre-election blog and broadly what I wanted to say.

Last Friday’s Pittsburgh murders by a bitter anti-Semite, plus the bombs sent to national Democrats by a thug weightlifter who had been kicked out of his family home by his mother, and the racist killings in a Louisville, Ky., Kroger supermarket to me are part of the same devil’s brew about which I planned to inveigh.

But in the aftermath of those same week tragedies—reading/watching the current national discussion about our personal responsibility and thinking about individual actions when faced with the bigotry and hatred—I softened some of my animus and intent.

I vowed I would take a stand but not add to the violent partisan and decorum-reducing tone going into the November 6 congressional elections.
  
I made up my mind to not take a predictable way out, not join the mob, or heavily vilify President Donald J. Trump's aberrant personality, bizarre manifestations of his presidential authority, and the anger and division which have marked every day of his presidency.

Ergo, I won’t repeat the long list of Trump actions--domestic, international, and personal--I’ve touched in my prior blogs.

He did not kill anyone or send bombs in the mail. 

I hope you'll vote next week against all of the President’s congressional enablers, Republican would-be office seekers, and I can convince you to communicate the same with your personal network.

#1

First, vote against whichever Republican is running in your congressional district, not because that individual is heinous but because once he or she gets to DC they'll be forced by GOP leaders to frolic in the swamp that produces policies that, mainly, are poisonous and noxious to civil discourse.

#2

More importantly, I  ask you to write, call, email, tweet--whichever is your favorite, easiest communication method--your friends, colleagues, business associates, and family around the country, to vote and do the very same.

It’s called leveraging.

It's the most immediate and constitutionally accepted way of injecting some balance into our daily lives and to expel some of the venoms.

In doing what I propose, we may lose some decent moderate Republicans—but few have stepped up to embrace that mode and speak out--and for that I am sorry, but that’s a small price to pay if we get back our country’s traditional political fairness and bipartisan respect.

Collectively, President Trump--despite his success at implementing several of his campaign promises, which traditionally is a hallmark of an effective politician—and the incumbent congressional Republicans have been partners in creating a toxic set of conditions that violate a skein of American historic ideals and democratic principles.

This Administration daily spouts outrageous lies which get choreographed and amplified by its faux media allies and right-wing posse.

From a longer range perspective, including economically with spending we can’t afford, norm-busting which hurts the least able and most vulnerable among us, and the failure to lead, not just read words from a teleprompter, I think perpetuation of the GOP-dominated Congress is deadly for our nation's future, ergo my wish to you all.

I’ll blog to you after the election, when we might be able to talk about GSE issues again, facing a saner political future.

Maloni, 10-29-2018


10 comments:

Unknown said...

Excellent message Bill. This ongoing nightmare needs to end.

Ken Harney

Kathie said...

Bill...this is Kathie Rhodes Lehner; I worked with you many, many years ago. You used to call me "teeny bop"! I thought of you when I heard of this horrific tragedy knowing that you were raised in Pittsburgh. Thank you for your calm and thoughtful message. It's hard not to bite back and blame. I am working hard to get the vote out; The last two years have been a freaking nightmare. The fabric of our democracy has been ripped apart; shredded. Trump has riled people up and created an atmosphere of chaos and misinformation. It has become a never ending pursuit to rally your team and go to war. It seems that many (not all) Republicans have blindly embraced Trump's ugly style of politics. They have embraced this president in every way as if he can do no wrong. They seem to ignore their own judgement and morals and just go with the "team".

I have never seen anything like this. We have come to a place where politicians care more about power than people. Our nation needs to figure this out. We need to heal this country and work together for the best interest of the country.

Bill Maloni said...


Ken--Thank you very much. Coming from a pro like you it means a lot.


********************************************************************************************

Kathie--how great to hear from you and thank you or reading.

I agree with you so much, it hurts.

It goes beyond saying, "I/we never have never seen such chaos and animosity....."

As our elected leader, President Trump must rise above those qualities which cause the very atmosphere in which hate is fomenting, but he is stirring the kettle.

But I don't believe he is capable of dropping that huge part of his persona.

Again, thanks for reading and getting in touch. My very best to you and yours.

Stay a teeny bopper!

Duncan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Duncan said...

my condolences to you and yours

I dont know what has gone wrong, but many people seem to be slipping backwards, For some its road rage others this. its more than sad it is insanity.

Bill Maloni said...

Thank you, Duncan.

I am proud of how Pittsburgh and it's always friendly ethnic neighborhoods and people have responded to this horrific event.

But, I cannot divorce the near constant anguish and chaos which we've seen up close as a nation from the one person whose DNA seems all over it, either as an initiator or as a defensive, insecure responder.

I think it is a huge mistake if the POTUS goes to Pittsburgh and injects himself into any memorial services for the murdered.

Anonymous said...

I made up my mind to not take a predictable way out, not join the mob, or heavily vilify President Donald J. Trump's aberrant personality, bizarre manifestations of his presidential authority, and the anger and division which have marked every day of his presidency.
Do you read your own hypocrisy?
Sir, NO PRESIDENT in the history of The United States of America, none, has done more for Israel then Trump.
After returning from Israel last week, let me tell you the people there view Trump as a National hero. A cab driver humorously said a second God. The Liberal Jews in this country have their heads on backwards, and hardened hearts. Did they not hear the boos at the DNC Conversation towards Israel? Do they not see the partnership with the DNC Co-Chair and Jew hater Louis Farrakhan? Are they frigging deaf, blind or stupid? Didn’t anyone see BHO cater to Muslin extremists?
I am more and more believing that Democrat Party is pure evil. Attempting to normalize blatant sin in the Torah and New Testament, a basic moral compass.
Yea, vote Democrat and there won’t be any boundaries for wicked behavior.

Bill Maloni said...

Hey, Anon, predictable as a needed bathroom visit after a big mean.

How has your life improved when the US/POTUS moved the US Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem?

Did your job (or retirement) improve, did your bills get smaller, did your health get better, the same with your kids and family (if they exist)?

It was symbolic. Do you believe that is altered in any meaningful way how our government woudl react if Israel was attacked militarily by its enemies

But--in the real world--has he backed away at all from the Saudi's who--if you are looking carefully--bred 16 of the 19 9-11 perpetrators and never were sanctioned for it.

Did you hear the protests in Pittsburgh today from Americans (Jews and others) who vote in US elections. They didn't want DJT strutting his abube-spewing ass around where 11 people just had been murdered by a rightwing zealot. (I'll let you ponder any connection there to the POTUS).

The President would have achieved more today if he had used his visit to atone for his post-Williamsburg, unscipted comment, "There were good people on both sides."

No Donald, they are no good Neo-Nazis!!

But, thanks for reading and writing.

Bill Maloni said...



Slight step backward to the GSE world.

Don Layton gave an interview today following Freddie's very nice earnings report (kudos Layotn and Freddie).

But, he also implied that CRT critics "don't really understand the CRT issue or the capital implications" (Maloni's paraphrase).

I hope Don and all of his "please let us comply with Treasury/FHFA demands" crew at Freddie carefully read Tim Howard brief comment on what Layton said.


https://howardonmortgagefinance.com/2018/09/12/comment-on-fhfa-capital-proposal/#comments

Jeffrey Siger said...

I told you I’d find your blog and read it, and so glad that I did! As one Pittsburgh kid to another—even though you weren’t blessed enough to go to Peabody—well said, my friend. May your words turn out the votes, and thus get out the message that reason, not rhetoric is what our nation needs.